LAU’s Center for Innovative Learning (CIL) was established as a new faculty development asset under the auspices of the Provost’s Office. Dedicated to creating a better learning environment for both students and faculty, the CIL will play an integral role in the academic mission of the university by providing activities that will be faculty, staff and student-led.
Mission, Vision and Purpose
The Center for Innovative Learning is committed to the support and development of LAU’s faculty towards excellence and innovation in research-based pedagogies and the advancement of their scholarship to enhance student learning that will in turn impact the broader community.
The vision of the Center for Innovative Learning is achieved through the provision of professional expertise to empower the faculty through exchanges, collaborations, individual consultations, and workshops.
Its purpose is to bring together colleagues from different schools, departments and/or units across the university to promote excellence in teaching, learning and assessment through cutting-edge technologies and high impact pedagogy. Faculty experts will be identified and will serve as mentors in sharing their soft skills.
Goals and Outcomes
The Center’s goals are to:
- Advance best practices for the dissemination of knowledge to guide the development and the implementation of best teaching and assessment practices
- Create a collegial environment of shared purpose and mutual support across the institution
- Promote a view of teaching based on the principles of a learning centered approach
- Integrate effective and innovative teaching and research-based techniques.
- Provide practical advice on the integration of innovative pedagogies and technology driven methodologies
- Provide resources to faculty on high impact pedagogies and learning technologies
- Function as a center of innovation and professional development regionally and internationally
- Establish and maintain long-term sustainable and transformative partnerships across campus and between the campus and the community.
- Adopting the train the trainer model
- Encouraging/Fostering dialogues and mutually beneficial partnerships
- Consulting individually or in small groups with experts
- Projecting/sharing professional teaching examples
- Hosting faculty workshops
- Creating teaching resources
- Providing ongoing support
- Sponsoring faculty teaching and research awards
- Reaching out to the community at large
- Facilitating peer groups in the classroom
- Implementing peer visits through the four square model.
The CIL offers space that university faculty can use to meet for personal and professional growth. We focus on teaching, learning, assessment and instructional technology. This space is available to help faculty contribute to fulfilling the University’s mission.
The CIL can provide different seating arrangements that are perfect for individual work or group collaboration. Come enjoy the “book nook” for a relaxing place to work.
CIL offers access to a real smart classroom setting. The Center can accommodate up to 20 people comfortably.
Feel free to contact CIL to reserve our space for your next faculty development meeting or workshop/presentation.
The CIL relies on a broad variety of internal as well as external faculty experts for its operation. It maintains a directory of faculty experts from which workshop facilitators are selected based on their time availability and willingness to present. If you would like to “Get On” the list, please contact your school representative serving on the Advisory Committee and provide them with the necessary information. We are continuously looking to increase our experts’ pool.
The CIL relies on an advisory team representing each of the 7 schools and GSR to plan, implement, and oversee activities offered at the center. The APAA serves as an ex-officio member on the team. The same goes for the staff assistant in charge of the smooth running of the center.
|Dr. Mirna Abi Abdallah Doumit||ARCSON|
|Dr. Rima Bahous||SAS|
|Mr. Lee Frederix||SArD|
|Dr. Joseph T. Khalifeh||(Faculty Senate representative - Byblos)|
|Dr. Zahi Nakad||SOE|
|Dr. Aline Saad||SOP|
|Dr. Abbas Tarhini||AKSOB|
|Dr. Brigitte Wex||SAS|
|Mrs. Janine Zakka||(Faculty Senate representative - Beirut)|
|Dr. Mona Majdalani||Director of CIL|