LAU’s Center for Innovative Learning (CIL) was established as a new faculty development asset under the auspices of the Provost’s Office. Dedicated to creating a better learning environment for both students and faculty, the CIL plays an integral role in the academic mission of the university by providing activities that are faculty, staff and student-led.
Mission & Vision
The Center for Innovative Learning is committed to the support and development of LAU’s faculty towards excellence and innovation in research-based pedagogies and the advancement of their scholarship to enhance student learning that will in turn impact the broader community.
The vision of the Center for Innovative Learning is achieved through the provision of professional expertise to empower the faculty through exchanges, collaborations, individual consultations, and workshops.
Goals & Outcomes
The Center’s goals are to:
- Bring together faculty from different schools, departments, and/ or units to promote excellence in teaching, learning and assessment through cutting-edge technologies and high-impact pedagogy
- Advance best practices for the dissemination of knowledge to guide the development and the implementation of best teaching and assessment practices
- Create a collegial environment of shared purpose and mutual support across the institution
- Promote a view of teaching based on the principles of a learning centered approach
- Integrate effective and innovative teaching and research-based techniques.
- Provide practical advice on the integration of innovative pedagogies and technology driven methodologies
- Provide resources to faculty on high impact pedagogies and learning technologies
- Function as a center of innovation and professional development regionally and internationally
- Establish and maintain long-term sustainable and transformative partnerships across campus and between the campus and the community.
- Adopting the “train the trainer” model
- Encouraging/Fostering dialogues and mutually beneficial partnerships
- Consulting individually or in small groups with experts
- Projecting/sharing professional teaching examples
- Hosting faculty workshops
- Creating teaching resources
- Providing ongoing support
- Reaching out to the community at large
- Facilitating peer groups in the classroom
- Implementing peer visits through the four square model.
Meet the Team
- Barbar Akle, Ph.D., Assistant Provost
- Rula Diab, Ph.D., Assistant Provost
- Alexan Choulhadjian, Deputy Director
The Center for Innovative Learning offers space on the Beirut campus that LAU faculty can use to meet for personal and professional growth. We focus on teaching, learning, assessment and instructional technology. This space is available to help faculty contribute to fulfilling the University’s mission. CIL also offers access to a real smart classroom setting.
For any question or to reserve our space for your next faculty development meeting or workshop/presentation, feel free to email us or stop by our offices.
- LAU Beirut Campus: Riyad Nassar Library, room 708 (access through elevator next to the Circulation Desk).
- LAU Byblos Campus: Location to be announced soon.