LAU’s Center for Innovative Learning (CIL) was established as a new faculty development asset under the auspices of the Provost’s Office. Dedicated to creating a better learning environment for both students and faculty, the CIL will play an integral role in the academic mission of the university by providing activities that will be faculty, staff and student-led.
Mission, Vision and Purpose
The Center for Innovative Learning is committed to the support and development of LAU’s faculty towards excellence and innovation in research-based pedagogies and the advancement of their scholarship to enhance student learning that will in turn impact the broader community.
The vision of the Center for Innovative Learning is achieved through the provision of professional expertise to empower the faculty through exchanges, collaborations, individual consultations, and workshops.
The purpose of the Center is to bring together colleagues from different schools, departments and/or units across the university to promote excellence in teaching, learning and assessment through cutting-edge technologies and high impact pedagogy. Faculty experts will be identified and will serve as mentors in sharing their soft skills.
Goals and Outcomes
The Center’s goals are to:
- Advance best practices for the dissemination of knowledge to guide the development and the implementation of best teaching and assessment practices
- Create a collegial environment of shared purpose and mutual support across the institution
- Promote a view of teaching based on the principles of a learning centered approach
- Integrate effective and innovative teaching and research-based techniques.
- Provide practical advice on the integration of innovative pedagogies and technology driven methodologies
- Provide resources to faculty on high impact pedagogies and learning technologies
- Function as a center of innovation and professional development regionally and internationally
- Establish and maintain long-term sustainable and transformative partnerships across campus and between the campus and the community.
- Adopting the “train the trainer” model
- Encouraging/Fostering dialogues and mutually beneficial partnerships
- Consulting individually or in small groups with experts
- Projecting/sharing professional teaching examples
- Hosting faculty workshops
- Creating teaching resources
- Providing ongoing support
- Reaching out to the community at large
- Facilitating peer groups in the classroom
- Implementing peer visits through the four square model.
The Center for Innovative Learning offers space on the Beirut campus that LAU faculty can use to meet for personal and professional growth. We focus on teaching, learning, assessment and instructional technology. This space is available to help faculty contribute to fulfilling the University’s mission.
CIL can provide different seating arrangements that are perfect for individual work or group collaboration. Come enjoy the “book nook” for a relaxing place to work.
CIL also offers access to a real smart classroom setting.
Feel free to contact CIL to reserve our space for your next faculty development meeting or workshop/presentation.
Faculty Fellows Program